Transitioning from ARE 4.0 to 5.0: Making the Move
Once you transition from ARE 4.0 to 5.0 you can’t transition back! For help making your decision: https://www.ncarb.org/pass-are/are4/transition.
Remember: Your rolling clock transitions with you! Previous ARE 4.0 tests convert to credits (see the transition calculator), which keep their original expiration dates.
Tips from your Fellow Test Takers
Test questions: The ARE 4.0 format had multiple-choice questions, fill-in the blank questions, and vignettes. The ARE 5.0 format has multiple-choice questions, fill-in the blank questions, hot spot questions, drag-in-place questions, and case study questions. The vignettes were eliminated in version 5.0. The demonstration exam can be helpful in getting used to the 5.0 exam question types.
Testing Break: The ARE 4.0 version has one mandatory 15-minute break. The 5.0 version has one optional 15-minute break. You start your break through an option button on your screen.
Case Study Questions: Each case study will have a different set of questions for each
section. The case study is a prompt for multiple questions. The first couple of questions
may be difficult, but you will see commonality as you move through the exam.
Studying with 4.0 test takers and materials: The transition calculator lets you know which tests share the most content, should you want to plan group study sessions or borrow study materials between 4.0 and 5.0 test takers.
- About the Architectural Registration Exam (ARE): https://www.ncarb.org/pass-the-are
- Transition Calculator and Credit Model: https://arecalc.ncarb.org
- Demonstration Exam and Testing Strategies: https://www.ncarb.org/blog/are-50-demo-and-testing-strategies
- ARE 5.0 Handbook: https://www.ncarb.org/sites/default/files/ARE5-Handbook.pdf
- Test Prep Video Series on YouTube: https://www.ncarb.org/pass-are/are5/prepare
- NCARB Customer Relations (Learning Disability Time Accommodations question to be asked of Customer Relations): 202-879-0520 or https://www.ncarb.org/contact
- ARE 5.0 Guidelines: https://www.ncarb.org/sites/default/files/ARE5-Guidelines.pdf
- ARE 5.0 Navigation Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULxA97A4Lpo
- Other Resources for ARE 5.0: https://www.ncarb.org/pass-are/are5
These suggestions were compiled and prepared by AIA Gainesville. Download a .pdf copy of this information for offline reference here.